Shetland Pony tranport Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » Shetland Pony tranport « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lisa Cooper
Username: Ponygall

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, 6 March, 2013 - 12:53 pm:   

Hi

I have seen your trailer Alan but I would prefer to keep everything in the trailer. I don't want to tow such a long trailer. I think I will follow Anne's advice as my ponies are good. But if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

Alan Beverley
Username: Wilson

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 2 March, 2013 - 10:34 am:   

Hi Lisa

We have an Ifor Williams HB510 trailer complete with carriage extension for sale on this site. It has worked very well for us with 2 Welsh cobs and a Bennington four wheeler, with plenty of room so it would be even better with smaller ponies. please feel free to call me if you have any questions or would like me to e mail some pictures.
Kind regards
Alan Beverlery 07792 874475

Anne Dickens
Username: Annedickens

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 1 March, 2013 - 9:21 pm:   

Hi

If it's any help, I regularly used to travel two 11.2hhs and a 4-wheeler in an Ifor Williams 510 (large double trailer) - and in my judgement there wasn't much extra space!

I had a range of extra bar brackets fitted in the trailer and had two ways to travel:

i) up end carriage in front of trailer and secure (having done this with three different types of carriage, this is trickier than it sounds, depending on the design); fix central pole and two half width bars and a separator ; load first pony with separator wide open and turn him to face backwards and secure separator; load second pony backwards up ramp (I had very obliging second pony!). ii) carriage in front as before; full width horizontal bar; load 1st pony to face side2side; fix second full width horizontal bar and load second pony to face side2 side.

Both methods worked well and depends on comfort and flexibility of particular ponies.

Good luck.

Anne

Lisa Cooper
Username: Ponygall

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, 26 February, 2013 - 9:52 am:   

Hi I have a transport issue. I want to travel 2 midi Shetlands and a 4 wheeled carriage up on it's end in a trailer. I am starting from scratch so need to buy a 4x4 and trailer. I was wonder if everything may squeeze in a single trailer with a less powerful 4x4 but if I can't do that I will look at other options as I think safety is most important, so will not travel the ponies loose. I am sure someone can advise me.

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration