Harness - any ideas? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » Harness - any ideas? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alvin S
Username: Alvin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 8 July, 2015 - 4:30 am:   

I think Horseware/Harrison Howard and Bucas rugs fit typical English weather well.

Janet Sycamore
Posted on Monday, 12 January, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   

Hi Kenina I will be very happy to give you any advise & help if it will be useful to you contact me on my email address & we can have a good natter about the pleasures & pitfalls on driving shetlands ! I look forward to hearing from you workshop@npsycamore.co.uk Janet Sycamore

Kenina Platts
Posted on Friday, 9 January, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   

to janet sycamore, just read that you make carriages, i have 2 mini shetis which i want to put to a 4 wheel carriage, been looking at the "Hartland minimus pairs" initially i just want to pleasure drive our contry lanes, but would like the option to do scurry driving ect without having to buy more than 1 cart, would the hartland do 4 all this, or can you recomend something 4 us. 07932550475

Nicolette Hughes
Posted on Monday, 26 May, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   

Thank you for your friendly advice, I really appreciate your expertise! I will ring you and see if you can help ! Many thanks Nicolette

Janet Sycamore
Posted on Monday, 26 May, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   

Hi Nicolette.... If you are looking for a carriage that will do both IHDT & pleasure/exercise showing make sure that the track width ( distance between both back wheels ) is a minimum of 125cm for IHDT rules You can use a narrower width if you only compete in club ( newcomers ) class but if you don't want the expense of buying an other carriage later on when your daughter moves up into a higher class ..junior upwards I should make sure it's right from the start.The problem with backsteps on 2 wheelers is getting the balance right so that when you step up the shafts don't tip up to high pulling the pony off it'd feet or should that be hooves !you need a seat that has a sliding or adjustable position back & forth to get the balance right just like a pair of scales. My personal thoughts are that as your daughter is still quite young & both her & pony are still very novice it would be much safer to sit beside her in the early days especially competeing at IHDT so that if you have a problem with the pony spooking at obstacles etc & getting a little difficult to handle you are close at hand to take over the reins & aviod an accident The other important point to condsider is weight ..many tradional style carriages are too heavy for smaller shetlands to pull for driving on indoor surfaces the lighter the better as sometimes the going gets heavy & rutted after several turnouts have been round the obstacles at high speed !Don't be in to much of a hurry to move up to a 4 wheeler either as with a novice pony/driver combination you can soon get in to difficulties with jack kniving & tipping up if the pony spins round suddenly & you are not ready to correct this sudden change of direction.I may be able to help you here as we build dual purpose carriages for smaller ponies ourselves if you are interested in more details phone me ( still no email facilities at the moment !! ) 01284 828828 or 07889120512 Hope this helps Janet Sycamore

Nicolette Hughes
Posted on Monday, 26 May, 2008 - 10:27 am:   

Janet, thank you, that is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. I have printed off the order form and will be measuring and ordering today! Many thanks Nicolette. Any ideas about a 2 wheel with a detachable backstep?

Janet Sycamore
Posted on Sunday, 25 May, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   

Hi Nicolette .... Janet here again ! I get my shetland harness from www.plasequestrian.co.uk The two ladies who run this business are very helpful & they do a good range of affordable harness both in leather & synthetic.I have an Intro set for my minis wich is easy clean leather look synthetic I use this for showing exercise/pleasure classes ,IHDT & everyday driving & it has been in regular use for 15 months now & still looks smart with a bit of mr sheen polish for show days ! Have a look at the website prices & styles are all there for you to compare Good Luck Janet Sycamore

Nicolette Hughes
Posted on Sunday, 25 May, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   

Hello again - you have all been really helpful so far, I have another question for you all. I need to buy Mable, (9h 2 shetland) a new harness, we have a very basic one to make sure it all went ok but do really need a good one that fits properly). I have been scouring the internet for a suitable harness in shetland size that we could use with a 2 wheel vehicle. I want something we can use for IHDT and excercise classes if we show as we can't afford 2! My daughter Nadia, has saved up and has just over 300. We have looked at a tedex and buying the additional zilco empathy collar - would this be ok for showing though, or will I need to save some more and get a leather one? We do a lot of ridden and in hand showing but I am afraid I know nothing about this! Many thanks Nicolette

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration