Lots of questions! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » Lots of questions! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Janet Sycamore
Posted on Wednesday, 21 May, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   

Yes .... That is me Some times it's a pair of matching chestnuts but this season I was driving a chestnut & palomino together ( computer still on the blink so no email service till next week ..hopefully !!! )Janet 07889 120512

Skipples
Posted on Tuesday, 20 May, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   

Hi again!
For obstacles you can just practise using your cones - if you have some dressage letters then this is ideal as you can put them in front of the cones. Otherwise just laminated card works well. If you set out each pair of cones as an obstacle gate (which I think is 2.5m wide in comps but it doesn't matter for practising)then you can change the letters round as much as you want and just practise remembering and driving it. Just setting the letters out yourself you will soon learn what is difficult/easy to do and whether your pony likes tight or flowing routes etc. It doesn't really matter how you set them out as it is all about knowing when to turn and being able to think quickly, as well as picking the routes that best suit your pony. So the more you set out and think about the better as it will let you 'get your eye in'. Also there may be clinics going on. And just going to an event and watching other people doing obstacles is also really good as you get an idea of the different styles of approach. And maybe someone would let you shadow them as they are walking and chosing their route, which would be very useful for you.

Nicolette Hughes
Posted on Tuesday, 20 May, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   

Thank you for all your really helpful replies so far. We live near Wix so will be attending IHDT hopefully. We are practising cones but I don't have a clue about obstacles? Janet do you drive a pair of minis? Think I may have seen you at Wix?

Skipples
Posted on Tuesday, 20 May, 2008 - 8:22 am:   

Hi again!
What you are doing re work sounds great, as long as neither Nadia or Mable get bored anything is good. If you can get a bit of offroading then that would add a little spice but this is not essential. You could set up cones to go through too if you have any and this would be fun for everyone.
As you say you only want to buy one vehicle I am going to assume that you would be using the same one for both showing and IHDT, in which case you would be doing 'grass roots' showing probably in the excersise cart class. In which case you can use a two or four wheeler. So, if you like the Zilco harness you would need to get a four wheeler (because of the fixed backband), which would be suitable for both the activities you wish to do. One caveat however, I would not reccomend a four wheeler yet if the pony has any tendency to drop her shoulder and/or spin round. This is simply as she is being driven by a novice and may not have been driven in a four wheeler before. If she was broken in a four wheeler then this is, of course, irrelevant. A four wheeler is different and I would be careful, however if the pony is sensible and you take it slowly and introduce her to her slowly to her new range of movement then I am sure everything will be fine.
If you get a different harness (have you tried tedman?) with a sliding backband then it is fully acceptable to use a two wheeler for both showing and IHDT. An ideal carriage would be of the Bennington Buggy type (though not neccessarily a Bennington - if you look it up you will see what I mean though - note this is not the fun bug, which you couldn't take showing), where there is the option of using the backstep or sitting side by side. It would be perfect if you could get one with a removable backstep as this would allow you to take it off and be more 'correct' for showing and then put it on to be more stable when doing IHDT.
Sorry for the ramble and have lots of fun driving :-)

Janet Sycamore
Posted on Monday, 19 May, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   

Hi Nicolette.. Welcome to the small pony chat forum & to the world of driving !! I see from your question on the general chat that you are in Essex/Suffolk area I drive shetlands mini & small standard I do IHDT & a bit of low key showing & I live near Bury St Edmunds Sfk If you would like to chat about shetlands & driving Please contact me if I can be of any help to you My computer is playing up at the moment & I can't read my emails but if you want to mail me please do & I will reply to you as soon as I am up & running again !! Janet Sycamore email to;workshop@npsycamore.co.uk

Nicolette Hughes
Posted on Monday, 19 May, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   

Hello. I am new to the forum and hoping some of your experience may help me! My daughter, Nadia, is just 10 and been driving for just over a year, she is driving mad! We have horses but have only ever been a riding family. Our farmers have kindly allowed us to have their lovely shetland broken to drive. She had 3 weeks training then came home and my daughter has been driving her 5 times a week. Pony (mable) is almost 10hh, all is going well and my daughter is so happy! Unfortunately no one on our yard drives and I have no driving friends, so I have a few questions! We are alternating roadwork and schooling so she doesn't get too bored - is this ok? Or should we incorporate other things? Pony is very happy in her new found driving career and is proving very responsive. She has a little 2 wheel (pneumatic)vehicle and a basic webbing harness. She does need a better harness and vehicle though as my daughter wants to do showing and IHDT in the winter. I have been doing lots of reading but can't conclude wether Mable should have 2 or 4 wheels? As she is a novice pony I have read she should have a 2 wheel with a backstep but is this ok for IHDT as I can't afford to buy 2 vehicles! I really like the Zilco shetland sport harness with the shaped collar as this looks like it will suit her shape well. However this apparantly has a fixed back band?? If I have a 2 wheel vehicle I don't think this is ok. Any suggestions on harnesses and vehicles? Sorry for being such a driving ignoramous but I am trying!! Many thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration