How fast? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » How fast? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Julia Liles
Posted on Monday, 19 May, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   

Some years ago we ran a Shetland League and Championships and we set the time at 12kph trot and 5kph walk. These times seemed to work without being too easy or too difficult.

Joanna Bassett
Posted on Monday, 19 May, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   

On the road, over big hills, i used to do a 7 km drive a few timea a week with a groom with my 36 inch sheltand, we could do it at about 10kph without pushing and get back without her sweating up...
but then shes smaller than a lot of ponies so might be slower

Fiona Powell
Posted on Thursday, 15 May, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   

You drivers with little-legged ponies, I want your advice, please? We want to schedule a class for you at Euston Park with extra time for the cross-country marathon.

Can you give me an idea of an appropriate speed which ponies of 11.2 and under could maintain for about 7kms across gently rolling sheep-grazed grassland? "Big" ponies' speed is 13kph in this section - just over 30 minutes. The ponies still have to be fit!

(11.2 ponies used to do over 20kms at 13 - 14 kph in the old days... when drivers probably had more time to keep them fit, I guess)

Thanks for your input!

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration