How much weight Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » How much weight « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fiona Powell
Posted on Saturday, 2 February, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   

See David Taylor's and my comments under General Chat for more info?

Barbara Martin
Posted on Wednesday, 30 January, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   

I drove mini shetlands for a number of years(34"), indoors and out, and found that provided you got them fit they could cope with everything I tried them at. The biggest problem is hills and sticky going as they have to work hard. We always drove with 2 people and I am not petite although my groom usually was. These shetlands were used in mines in the past pulling loads of approx 1/2 ton. It is important to ensure your trap is the right size for your pony. I wish you lots of fun.

Liz Howe
Posted on Monday, 28 January, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   

I wouldn't think your miniature Shetland would have any trouble pulling an adult. I have been doing I.H.D.T with my 36" Shetland and she's been going great guns, though I do compete hors concours as I don't carry a groom. Remember it is harder work for the pony on an artificial surface than driving on a tarmac road. Shetlands just love to drive, I'm sure your little chap will relish the task. Good luck and enjoy.

mummymoomoo
Posted on Thursday, 24 January, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   

I have a min shetland, he's 32" high. My 3 y-o daughter rides him. He is broken to harness and I have been given the use of a trap. I have done a small amount of driving in the past but have no idea how much my little man can pull. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration