Which carriage for I.H.D.T ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » Which carriage for I.H.D.T ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Liz Howe
Posted on Friday, 11 January, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   

Hi Margaret,
There is a sale at Thimbleby and Shorland (Reading) on Wed 12th March 2008, they hold 2 dedicated Shetland pony sales every year. See www.tsauction.co.uk for details. I have bought nearly all my ponies there, it's a great day out.
See also www.shetlandponyweb.com look under the classifieds, you'll find lots of Shetlands there too.
Good luck.

Joanna Bassett
Posted on Thursday, 10 January, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   

One of the light 4 wheelers shouldn't be too heavy, depends how fit you get your pony. Though i understand you've been going HC? We use a 2 wheeler for my 36inch shettie, and we carry myself and a groom, if you wanted to carry a groom, if you think your pony struggles with two in a lighter vehicle, it might be worse in a 4 wheeler? My 2 wheelers done fine, can turn quicker after cones and stuff.It a bellcrown one.

and to Margaret- i have shettie if you do want one up for lease, some people are coming down from yorkshire to se eher about breaking her to ride, but it is a long way away from us, and if we decide we dont think their right for her, were getting her broken to drive, then leasing her out after that. Or bofroe if anyone wanted to break her themselves....
Jo

Margaret Brockie
Posted on Wednesday, 9 January, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   

Renee Schoop does some really small and light but very stable little 4 wheelers. I had one on loan for a while and I absolutely loved it so much I am thinking of buying some shetlands. Anybody know where I could find some?

Liz Howe
Posted on Tuesday, 8 January, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   

I have a 36" Shetland, this is our first season I.H.D.T. I have an old two wheel Ken Jackson exercise vehicle which I bought to start driving. We love driving indoors but mine looks a very 'old style' carriage. What makes do you have for your small ponies?
The shafts on mine are very long, I can see the modern style vehicles (4 wheel) have a very tight turning circle, especially useful when driving obstacles. Would a four wheel vehicle be too heavy for my Shetland to pull, she manages very easily with the Ken Jackson at the moment, though our times could be much better on obstacles. I thought of shortening the end of the shafts but I don't really think this will make much difference.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration