small pony carriages Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » small pony carriages « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lester Dagge
Username: Lester

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 16 September, 2011 - 1:06 pm:   

I use both, but personally be careful with Polish 4 wheelers with Welsh ponies as the swingle trees are usually set low for Shetlands, (hence they are often called "shettie" vehicles). I got rid of mine as the low swingletree caused problems with legs over the traces and the downward pull on the breast collars effected their performance. I was lucky to find an English made vehicle (Dick Carey) which has higher set swingletrees better suited to Section A's, so my tip is Buy British!

Emma Burton
Username: Burtwood

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 24 July, 2011 - 10:07 pm:   

Obviously a different carriage, our backstep is a fixed one.
No, you wouldn't adjust the balance if you hopped off. But then the carriage would either be stationary or not doing much. And yes, 'bouncing' on and off isn't good for a pony's back. But that is down to user ignorance, not an issue with the carriage being a two wheeler. As I said, two wheelers have their place and I see no problem with them if it means we get more people started in the sport. I'm sure plenty of people competed in them when the game first appeared.

D Paffett
Username: Dpaff

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, 22 July, 2011 - 12:11 pm:   

We also have a Bellcrown with a backstep. The removable backstep is heavy (10-15kg?) so you lose most of the weight advantage.

To compensate for the weight of backstep and backstepper being so far back you have to wind the weight a long way further forward (10-15 turns I think it was).

I cannot remember ever seeing a backstepper adjust the weight to get off and then readjust to get back on a carriage. If something happens when you are on the road you wouldnít have time anyway. I do remember seeing some quite heavy backsteppers bouncing on and off the backstep as if there was no effect on the ponyís back at all. You could see the pony sag and then get lifted in the air.

Iím not saying that an experienced person could not use one but I think someone new to driving should be warned off them.

Emma Burton
Username: Burtwood

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2011 - 9:55 pm:   

There's nothing to stop you having a two wheeler with a back step. Then you can fly around the obstacles and your groom can help out freely!
We did a full Midland season with our 11hh welshie to a 2 wheel Bellcrown (without brakes). A double seat for the dressage and cones, single for the marathon. He never had any issues, the shaft weight adjustment was accessable to the groom so they altered it if needed.
And I think you misjudge the small ones...we never had an issue over times, bar having to really work at the walk, and he certainly didn't arrive at section E worn out!
It's difficult to go back to a 2 wheeler, i'd think, but when you're starting out they can be helpful both moneywise and ease. It's just a shame we've retired the little pony, he was great fun!

D Paffett
Username: Dpaff

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2011 - 8:43 pm:   

2-wheelers typically 90kg

4-wheelers 110-130 kg (small pony size).

Manufacturers quote weight without anything (eg brakes, extending axles) added.

So with 2 adults on board a small pony is pulling (pushing?) a lot compared to his bodyweight and a 2-wheeler is tempting.

Dressage is probably better on 2 wheels but cones are tricky and obstacles at speed are frightening because your ballast is sitting next to you. On the other hand, if you do a superb dressage and go clear in cones you can probably afford to trot sedately round the obstacles and still win. Of course, most people donít want to trot sedately round obstacles ...

Also, if you are not constantly balancing the shafts on your 2 wheeler you will give your pony a sore back.

I donít think two wheelers were ever banned for any singles so itís allowed but not a ďnewĒ rule as such. Itís just that nobody does it. They usually move on to a bigger pony. The walk section in particular is excruciating for a little chap because most small ponies canít do the big pony walk speed. Theoretically, a small pony has an advantage in the obstacles but of course it has to canter much more of section A first so it arrives at section E with less (if any) puff. Most little ones successfully doing trials are very fit indeed so you need to build your pony up to it.

We have a two wheeler with brakes. Braking downhill seemed to put a huge extra weight on the shafts. We couldnít get far enough back to balance the boat so it was not much use really. I expect thereís a workaround but we gave up at that point.

Sorry if you know all this but small ponies starting out need all the help they can get!

Jo Hodges
Username: Connie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2011 - 6:31 pm:   

Please can anyone help, I understand that a new rule has been brought in regarding small ponies.
They now can compete in a two wheeled carriage.Is this correct?
If so which two wheeled carriage are the lightest and best for 11 hh pony. Are there two wheels carriages that have breaks.

Username: New

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, 3 July, 2011 - 7:17 pm:   

Thankyou all very much ,your comments have been much appreciated.

Liz Howe
Username: Lizh

Posted on Sunday, 3 July, 2011 - 5:20 pm:   

Hi - I have been in the same situation as you, having recently acquired an 11.3hh Welsh Sec A. I think I must have looked at every carriage website there possibly is - it is an absolute minefield. At first I settled on a Rene Schoop 4 wheeler and was measured up by one of his agents, with the pony to have a carriage built, we were hoping for a weight around 110kg. Unfortunately this was not possible as the weight came out as 125 - 127kg. Time to think again.

I knew Bennington made a carriage at 115kg and also the Hartland carriages looked good too. I went to Hartlands and was very impressed, I now have on order a Micrasport Light which will weigh approx 114kg. Joanne was very helpful with advice, I already own a set of Hartland harness so can recommend her. The fun part was choosing the colour scheme, but the biggest fun will be learning to drive a 4 wheeler! I hope to take delivery early August.

Good luck with your quest.

Caroline Phillips
Username: Caggie

Posted on Friday, 1 July, 2011 - 4:05 pm:   

Another light weight Fenix Flyer fan here..... about 120kg (from memory).... good on any surface... and over bumps!

Nicolette Hughes
Username: Nicolettepurple

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, 1 July, 2011 - 10:26 am:   

my rene schoop was 96kg and pulled by a 8h2 shetland mainly but fit a section a well too. Nicolette

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, 30 June, 2011 - 8:13 pm:   

thank you all for your help, but do any of you know the weight of your carriages ?

Marisa Pinnock
Username: Marisa

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 30 June, 2011 - 4:34 pm:   

I drive a 11 hand section a to a lightweight Fenix Flyer and it is fantastic!

Belinda Clark
Username: Troublesbrewin

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2011 - 3:21 pm:   

Try Sycamore carriages, they do fab ones :-)

Nicolette Hughes
Username: Nicolettepurple

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, 29 June, 2011 - 12:01 pm:   

I used to have a rene schoop 4 wheeler, it was perfect, well balanced and looked great! We used it for indoors and outdoors.

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2011 - 7:52 pm:   

Please could I have your veiws on carriages for small ponies .Sec A about 11.2 I am looking for a four wheel for indoors /club and every day use.
What sort of weight and type ?
Does anyone have anything they would like to sell? All comments welcome !

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration