Keeping Fit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » Keeping Fit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lell Wilkinson
Posted on Saturday, 12 April, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   

hi ladies
hope you dont mind me joining in ?
my boy is 36 inches and i work him on week ends and occasional day during the week but like liz he is in on a night out during the day and i have just got him a freind to play with (lol) so hopin that will help him get a bit more fit as in playing around more active
even though he is quite fit already
now the lighter nights are in i can go after work and use the outdoor manage during the week so i will be working him 2 days a week and week ends which i think is enough for now
we only do 30 mins schooling then out on the roads to make a change so he dont get bored
and so he keeps intrested and not bored

angelac
Posted on Friday, 14 December, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   

Personally, I think it depends on your circumstances and your ponies. My ponies are 'let down' at the moment as I have been ill and not competing. When I was, I found that if they went into the winter being fully fit,then weekend driving, occasional indoor training and full turnout kept them fit enough for indoor trials. I am 'fortunate'(?) in having turnout space with poor grazing and my ponies can live out fully with access to stable if they want it.
They are quite active when out and exercise themselves a lot.

I haven't tried getting an unfit pony up to fitness during the winter. If I found myself in that position I wouldn't compete that season but leave it to the next.

Good Luck in finding a system that works for you.

Liz Howe
Posted on Thursday, 13 December, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   

Yes, Christine that's me and my pony, Goodgollymissmolly.
At I.H.D.T we have to compete hors concours as I do not carry a groom. Two adults would be too heavy for Molly to pull on an artificial surface. I am able to compete properly with my local driving club thankfully.
I look forward to seeing how you get on - keep us posted!

Christine Berrie
Posted on Thursday, 13 December, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   

Hi Liz, I've been following your driving adventure on the shetland pony web, I think - Is that you? It sounds like you've been having a great time and have to admit it has spurred me on to get out there. I always used to think that it would be to much like hard work for my pony but having seen what everyone else is doing I've obviously been wrong. I'll let you know how I get on.

Liz Howe
Posted on Wednesday, 12 December, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   

Good luck Christine, It is my first season I.H.D.T and everyone has been so friendly and welcoming. I'm sure you'll have a great time and hopefully meet some other 'smalls'.

Enjoy.

Christine Berrie
Posted on Wednesday, 12 December, 2007 - 9:05 am:   

Thanks everyone. Over this summer I did a lot of long reining and drove about 3-4 times a week. I think my ponies were sort of getting fit. Unfortunately I've got no lights in the field and half of it is under water at the moment so I'll have to stick to weekend road work only at the moment. Amanda Saville puts on some indoor driving events around February/March time near me so hopefully by then my ponies will have lost their tummies and I can give it a go. This will be the first time for the ponies and me. It all seems a bit scary, but i'm determined to join in the fun!

Joanna Bassett
Posted on Tuesday, 11 December, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   

Im going to start lunging my two ponies the days i cant drive for about 20-30 minutes each, i have about an hours light when i got home, so it should fit in, and in the field you can carry on til dusk, i'd drive in the field, but half of it is practiacally a lake at the moment!
or if you know someone light enough to ride them...

Liz Howe
Posted on Tuesday, 11 December, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   

I am not able to drive every day, but I long rein my pony quite a bit and we harrow the sand school which is quite hard work. We have been competing I.H.D.T (our first season) and I am surprised how fit my pony is. Molly is able to do the three phases quite easily. I think if you can get an animal fit it can be quite easy to keep them ticking along. Molly is stabled at night and fed, she goes into the field during the day, but we don't let her get blown out with grass.

Faye Taylor
Posted on Sunday, 9 December, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   

Hi there, i've enlisted the help of some young girls in my village to help me out, it's a bit harder now as their school bus gets back quite late, they had actually advertised as dog walkers, they had not got horse experience but were willing to learn, they've been with me 3 months now and it is keeping my guys ticking over.they just take them a walk/trot round the village in hand. i give them a bit of pocket money and have started to teach them to drive a bit,{they now double up as my grooms too} might be worth a try to see if there are some teenagers needing a little job. Lunging is also good if you have anywhere suitable, you could get a couple of the portable floodlights/ work lights with an extension cable (weather willing)and point them in your paddock.

Christine Berrie
Posted on Friday, 7 December, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   

I'm fairly new to all this but how does everyone else keep their littlies fit during the dark winter months? With it being so dark I have to wait until the weekend to do any work with mine, and my ponies seem to be getting slowly fatter!

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration