More small pony entries wanted for 2011 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » More small pony entries wanted for 2011 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anne Dickens
Username: Annedickens

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, 21 March, 2012 - 9:14 pm:   

Hello All
Think I've said before on this forum in encouragement to other litt'uns, my 11.2hhs have done 20kms and 40kms respectively at carriage dog trial events on a challenging and hilly course taking two adults (with two dalmatians behind :-). My Welsh A cross came in at the final vet check after the 40kms Gold course with his stats lower than when he started and although (as always!) a bit overweight, was declared a "jolly fit little pony" by the experienced endurance vet judge.
Admittedly we'd walked the last km with a broken carriage - but that's another story!
They CAN do it with adequate training. Have fun!
Anne

kerry slack
Username: Kerryslack

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 9 February, 2012 - 6:57 pm:   

Hi Wendy, im based not far from Ashfields. Thank you very much for the invite. Very much looking forward to competing Ollie this year. Now just need the snow to clear up so that I can continue with his training

Wendy Peckham
Username: Wendyp

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, 8 February, 2012 - 9:32 pm:   

Hi Kerry. I don't know where you are based but Midlands Driving Trials Group run one-day events for newcomers and small ponies. They are a great way to start and the club will allocate an experienced 'buddy' to help you at your first event - to make sure you get to the right place at the right time in the right gear. Have a look at the website: www.mdtg.co.uk for more info. Good luck!

kerry slack

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 8 February, 2012 - 2:03 pm:   

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. He is a eager little man and got a great attitude to work. I think we will have a ball :-)

Frances Collings
Username: Victory

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, 8 February, 2012 - 11:39 am:   

Yes Fiona is right, back in the 80's I drove my National Novice Year with an fantastic 11.2 pony and when it came to the National Championships we were Reserve Champions winning the Marathon and the Cones. I seem to remember, for those that did not know Ivor Moreton drove, he was in 3rd place!
Go for it I have always wondered why small single ponies are not allowed at National Events now!

kerry slack

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 6 February, 2012 - 1:56 pm:   

Oh Fiona, thank you so much. This has pleased me no end. I realise i will have to get him alot fitter, but I have been told he wouldnt do it, so this has given me the confidence to give it a go. Thank you so very much.

Fiona Powell
Username: Fionap

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, 6 February, 2012 - 12:20 pm:   

Hi, Kerry - if your pony is fit, you'll both enjoy the events - and most clubs will insist you do at least three events (or qualify as open) with a single before you are allowed to drive a pair outdoors anyway. One of our members took her 11.2 pony round and was told at the end of Section E (of the marathon) that he was fitter than many bigger ponies and some horses! She'd worked hard to fitten him.

Ponies of 11.2 used to take two adults round 20kms in national events, I'm told.

The EACDG is keen to get more small ponies competing. You do Section E only of the marathon. (not your comment but...it is no cheaper for us to run the event when people just do part of the marathon and if we reduced the cost of entry to small ponies we'd have to reduce it for everyone else who wanted to do Section E only, I guess... We really want people to compete, not come hc.)

I've seen ponies of 11 hands scorch round, and been beaten by Shetlands a few times... They can do it!

kerry slack

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 6 February, 2012 - 9:29 am:   

do you get many small pony singles competing? I only have a single, would love a pair, but unfortunately unable to have. I would love to compete him, but I dont want to push him if it would be too much

Posted on Friday, 1 October, 2010 - 11:52 pm:   

11.2hh seems an odd height to take for shetlands. Isn't is a bit big? Are you trying to cater for shetland crosses?

The breed standard for the other small ponies (welsh mountains) is 12hh max which means that you will get quite a few but not all.

I can see you that have to draw the line somewhere but I don't quite understand why you heve drawn it there.

The IHDT had quite a debate about what a small pony is and I think at 11hh they have ended up with a virtual ban on section A's. A bit unkind perhaps but logical.

Nicolette Hughes
Posted on Thursday, 30 September, 2010 - 9:23 pm:   

I agree with Janet, a height limit of 11.2hh is more than big enough. As well as leg length, we also need to consider weight ratios, our 9h2 single shetland would be pulling a lot more weight pro rata with a 4 wheeler and 2 people than a 12hh pony!

Janet Sycamore
Posted on Thursday, 30 September, 2010 - 4:45 pm:   

I see your point Anne that 12 hands would probably increase entries but when your ponies are only 8.2hh like my boys the lack of leg length & following stride is a big challenge already when trying to impress judges in the dressage phase especaily outdoors in a 80 x 40 arena I am sure the judges read a book or do the times crossword while they wait for us to return into view their end of the arena ! But I have to admit that we can out manouvere the bigger the ponies in the obstacles both outdoors & indoors ( why go round the outside when you can just go into the obstacles shimmy round the gates & out again ) !

Anne Perry
Posted on Thursday, 30 September, 2010 - 1:07 pm:   

Thanks Janet, 11.0hh/11.2hh seems very small wouldn't a 12.0hh limit (at least) make the small pony category more interesting this would allow in some more small breeds making for bigger classes and a more competetive class as the littlies are more than capable of holding there own.

Janet Sycamore
Posted on Thursday, 30 September, 2010 - 8:49 am:   

Hi Anne East Anglian Carriage Driving Group height limit is 11.2hh other clubs may differ a bit from this but not by much ( for example IHDT is 11.00hh ) hope this helps you Janet Sycamore

Anne Perry
Posted on Thursday, 30 September, 2010 - 7:45 am:   

As new to the sport please could someone tell me where to find the height rule for small ponies. What is the height ?

Posted on Wednesday, 29 September, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   

Make it cheaper if you only do section E

Steph Walmsley
Posted on Tuesday, 28 September, 2010 - 9:44 am:   

nearly ready with my pair of 10-2's :-)

Fiona Powell
Posted on Monday, 27 September, 2010 - 8:59 pm:   

Thanks mainly to Janet Sycamore and her pioneering spirit, the East Anglia club has been running small pony classes at every event.

You do the same dressage test and cones course as everyone else, with cones time adjusted (although this isn't much of a problem, I believe) and do Section E - time-adjusted for little legs - and all the obstacles for rosettes to sixth place...

We've been running this class for three years and there are still very few entries.

What can we do to get more small pony drivers to take part?

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration