Driving bit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » Driving bit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Posted on Tuesday, 8 December, 2009 - 11:38 am:   

No need for a Darth Vader mask for Christmas for me then!
F

Posted on Tuesday, 8 December, 2009 - 12:02 am:   

Well, that's frightened us all off Fiona, and I'm sure that's not what you meant to do. However, the simplest and most innocuous questions/comments can provoke a barrage of often personal comments. It's not modesty - more like terror to put your head up over the parapet.

But I do like the idea of nicknames. I agree with you that it is confusing to see a string of comments all from this "Guest" chap and all appearing to contradict each other. On the other hand nicknames seem to be totally forbidden by the moderator (ha! Health and Safety no doubt!)and it is his site after all.

So I remain respectfully yours,

John S

p.s restricted to the small ponies topic but that's ok because we don't have any big ones.

pps I am definitely not going to ask you how small a small pony is.

Fiona Powell
Posted on Monday, 30 November, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   

Dear modest Guest(s), I'd love to have a name for you. Your comments are very interesting... I'm sad that you (all?) feel you can't put any name to your musings, which I enjoy reading.
Please "come out", even with a nickname!?

Posted on Sunday, 29 November, 2009 - 12:40 am:   

This is what I have read but I would value your opinions:-

First you get your pony relaxed and going forward rhythmically.

Next you get your pony straight i.e. the head and body are in a straight line on the straight and bend with the curve on the curve.

You achieve this mainly by doing lateral work (exercises to make the inside hind leg step under)

The best bit for doing lateral work is a jointed bit because the pony gets a clear signal from the direction you want it to go.

Of the jointed bits the double-jointed bits (eg french link) are the kindest if you do not have expert hands. For some, single-jointed bits give a more definite feel but you must never pull hard on them (so I really don't understand why they are the most common children's riding bit).

Curb bits are for applying leverage to a pull which you should'nt be doing anyway but if you're out hunting and your steed is breathing fire it might be your only chance of stopping. They are also used as part of a double bridle at the very highest end of classical dressage to ask for vertical flexion ONLY (i.e. no bend) and NEVER as a brake.

In the UK we commonly use liverpool bits which are curb bits and usually unjointed. There are historical reasons for this which apply either to coaching where you had to control whatever was put in front of you or private drive with a hyped-up hackney winched in at the front on second bar liverpool bit, head fixed high with a bearing rein and fired up like a frenzy from behind. I would say neither of these reasons apply to driven dressage, cones and obs.

Of course ponies are all individuals (and none more so than shetlands!) and yours might really hate a french-link snaffle clinking about in its mouth. Then you have to experiment.

Hope this (or what follows from this obvious provocation) helps.

Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2009 - 5:38 pm:   

Does she do ridden work too? Some ponies are driven in their riding snaffles or bits quite successfuly, our friends drive their shetland in a jointed snaffle. We use little liverpools, jointed or straight bar depending on the pony.

Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   

I would recommend a cambridge mouth snaffle (magic bit) - it has a low port and loose rings, and they are normally available on ebay for very little money. Usually the rings are quite small in proportion to the mouthpiece, and I drive most of my shetlands in them - the ponies seem to get on really well with them. Rubber/nylon straight bars always seemed too chunky little mouths. I'd recommend it if your pony is soft-mouthed and doesn't require a curb or poll leverage.
For example...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-MAGIC-BIT-cambridge-snaffle-5-5_W0QQitemZ370178375423Q QcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Horse_Wear_Equipment?hash=item563059beff

Janet Sycamore
Posted on Monday, 26 October, 2009 - 8:26 am:   

Hi Shirley ..... If you look on www.ponyandcarriage.com they do lovely neat small cheek bits for small ponies with a good choice of styles & sizes of mouth piece & at a very reasonable price ( they are good quality too ! )Hope this helps Janet Sycamore

Shirley Moore
Posted on Sunday, 25 October, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   

I am trying to find a driving bit for my shetland she is a the moment in a 5.5inch straight black rubber bit she is not strong and very soft in the mouth i seem to be having a job to find a driving bit that does not look huge on her as she has to have quite a large size for a shetland Thanks for any help

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration