Bellcrown or not ??? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » Bellcrown or not ??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kate Hollett
Posted on Tuesday, 6 October, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   

Thank you Liz, yes my general idea is to have a go at IHDT eventually so I believe I would need 125cm width. I am still keeping an open mind on Bellcrown so thank you very much for your info.

Kate

Liz Howe
Posted on Monday, 5 October, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   

I have a Bellcrown Minicrown (similar to the Shetlander but a bit smaller) and I love it, it is well made, robust and very comfortable to drive, especially for tall adults (I'm 5'9" tall), lots of leg room!

The only thing I dislike is the swan neck shafts, it is easy for a Shetland pony to get a hind leg over them as they are about hock height when fitting into the carriage. I have had my carriage adapted to use higher, straighter shafts.

One other thing you may want to consider is the width, I believe the Shetlander is 120cm wide - this is 5cm too narrow for I.H.D.T (if that is where your interests lie?)

I have driven my 2 year old Minicrown on sand, grass, tarmac and rubber, my pony is 34" high and he pulls it a treat. Balancing the carriage is quite easy, also I can dismantle it to fit in the boot of a Nissan Quashqoi.

I believe Bellcrown carriages will be quite sought after in the UK as the company no longer trade here and carriage from USA is very expensive.

Kate Hollett
Posted on Sunday, 4 October, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   

Have been advised to look for a Bellcrown Shetlander for my first driving pony BUT there seems to be a lot of conflicting evidence for and against them, does anyone have any experience/opinion of them ? Such as are they heavy, are the older ones a b*** to balance, do the shafts and other bits fall off. Sorry to keep on, but I really want to get it right. Kate

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration