Worried about size....... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Small ponies » Worried about size....... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Laura Cook
Posted on Friday, 3 July, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   

Thanks for the advice everyone!
I think I'll remeasure her at weekend to be sure.

The plan was always to have her as a pair with my other shetland but she hasn't quite made the same height and the other one has started sprouting sarcoids in all sorts of inconvienent places so dont think I'd get a collar on her now hence the idea of trying the little one as a single. Just wanted some advice as she is very different from the horse teams/pairs I'm used to so felt like fish out of water really!

Janet - I'm in Oxford, but I'll prob take you up on the offer once I've got some pics! Thanks!

Janet Sycamore
Posted on Friday, 3 July, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   

Hi Laura where do you live ? I am in Suffolk & would be happy to give you some help & friendly advise re driving & suitable carriages for little ones If you don't live too far from me you are welcome to visit us with or without your pony or send me a pic or two & I can see what size she is Build & substance is more important than height I drive 34 inch ponies single & pairs HDT & IHDT & am of average build & weight for a middle aged female ! Please contact me if I can help Janet Sycamore workshop@npsycamore.co.uk or phone 01284 828828 or 07889 120512 anytime p.s I helped louise ( posting below ) with her mini & groom for her on some of their outings Robbie is very happy pulling both of us for short bouts either in a two or four wheeled vehicle Good Luck from Janet & The Mighty Minis Team

Posted on Friday, 3 July, 2009 - 8:28 am:   

hi i drive a 36" shetland and she will pull a two wheeler with no groom

Liz Howe
Posted on Thursday, 2 July, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   

I drive a 37" Shetland in private driving classes and do IHDT, we don't have to carry a groom in IHDT providing she is put to a two wheeler. Some Shetlands have been found to struggle with a 4 wheeler, driver and groom on an artificial surface.

I have 8 Shetlands from 30" - 37", I have broken a 32" pony who is really game, Shetlands just love to have a job to do, they are very intelligent and quick to learn.

I have just started longreining a 3 year old filly hoping to drive her next year when she is 4 years old.

I would give your mare a chance, you have experience and would know if she wasn't happy. Some people would say that driving cones with a small pony is like driving a small sports car - hold on to your hat and off you go!

In my experience, most Shetland tack / harness always needs some small alteration somewhere, usually it's the browband that is too small for their broad foreheads.

Best of luck - enjoy yourselves

Posted on Thursday, 2 July, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   

i personally would say that she is just to small. But you can give it a try and if it doesnt work then it doesnt :-)

Posted on Thursday, 2 July, 2009 - 10:53 am:   

Hi, we broke our 33" mini to drive in the spring and he is happy pulling his carriage and two normal adults round the roads, my groom gets off to give him an easier time for some of the drive and up the hills, and he's quite a fine little lad but with a big heart, so give it a try. Good luck. Louise

Posted on Wednesday, 1 July, 2009 - 4:20 pm:   

Hi, I think as a single pony she may be too small and you find it very difficult to find things to fit! My daughter drives a 38inch shetland singly and she is fine pulling my daughter, her 2 wheeler and a slim adult. I do feel if she was much smaller she wouldn't manage so well and she is fit. I might be wrong so good luck! Nicolette

Laura Cook
Posted on Wednesday, 1 July, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   

I'm looking for some advice please from some people more experienced with little ones (most of my experience is with 17hh gelderlanders so I'm feeling a bit out of my league here!)

I have a tiny 29" mare who is four this year and looking for a job. I would love to drive her but I'm a bit worried about how much she could pull happily - she looks so tiny!!!

I have read on the IDHT website that some people there compete with out a groom and I suspect this will have to be the case with my little mare?

Any advice would be gratefully received, would love her to do something but dont want to break her in any way!!!

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration