The late Jan Szczuka Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » Announcements » The late Jan Szczuka « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eileen Cornish
Username: Eileenc

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, 5 January, 2016 - 11:05 pm:   

Faith has sent the following details of Jan’s funeral:-
The funeral service will be on Tuesday 12th January 2016 at 12.30pm at St Margaret's Church, Clerk Street, Loanhead, Midlothian, EH 20 9DR, followed by burial in Loanhead New Cemetery, Hunter Avenue, Loanhead.
Refreshments at Kings Acre Golf Club around 2.45pm to which all are warmly invited.

Margaret Brockie
Username: Margaretb

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, 5 January, 2016 - 8:21 pm:   

So sorry to hear about Jan. I too have happy memories of time spent with Faith, Jan and the boys when we were in the single pony class and later tandems with our Secrion Cs
My sympathies to Faith, Tim and Mark

Eileen Cornish
Username: Eileenc

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, 5 January, 2016 - 11:13 am:   

It is with great sadness that I write to tell you of the death of Jan Szczuka, on Saturday 2 January 2016, husband of Faith and father of Tim and Mark, after a prolonged fight against lung cancer.
Jan was well known on the carriage driving scene as Faith’s support and backstepper for her pony team as well as being British Carriage Driving Treasurer for a few years. I was lucky enough to be their pony team’s chef d’equipe for a couple of years when we were travelling with two lorries and 5 ponies all over the country along with various Polish grooms. Jan was Polish, and struggled to get me to remember even the Polish word for beer – I am not known for my flair for foreign languages. We spent many an event ceilidh dancing the night away, along with Faith and the other grooms. Great memories!
Jan was a patent lawyer in Edinburgh before he retired to enjoy the little time he had left to pursue his many interests.
Outwith the driving scene Jan was a very keen skier, enjoying Arctic trips as well as Scottish skiing. In July last year he enjoyed hill walking and sea kayaking with friends while based at Kinlochewe Lodge beside Loch Maree.
Jan was a very keen cyclist but with his lung problems he then discovered the joys of ‘electric’ bike riding to enable him to get out and about in the Midlothian countryside as he had always done.
Jan was also a keen woodworker – I can remember many years ago having a huge laugh with him about the fact that he was taking a ‘Chippendale’ course – furniture making. He was built like a greyhound and realised that he did not fit the description for the other ‘Chippendale’ role. He recently helped some friends with some heavy-duty woodworking (bandsawing, thicknessing, routing, assembly) in the course of building a pair of large ‘original style’ Doors for an old mews Garage in the Edinburgh New Town.
In summer 2015 Jan spent a week in an intensive Turkish Language class as part of a Research Project on the effects of learning a new language in later life, on Cognitive Performance.
Jan’s final year was fraught with medical difficulties - in January 2015 his immune system would not allow the 4th cycle of Chemo to proceed but he managed another 2 cycles in November, before stopping them as there was no improvement. In the summer he had a Lung Biopsy procedure to help doctors to find a Target for Targeted Gene Therapy, which is a major new advance in Cancer Treatment.
Faith asked that I share Jan’s life and death with members and friends.
The funeral arrangements are yet to be intimated – they will be emailed and published as soon as I know.

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration