Trainers? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » General Chat » Trainers? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vicky Brennan
Username: Vicky_brennan

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2018 - 1:32 pm:   

The best person to talk to in that area is Sam Searle who can train the ponies and offer lessons with experienced ponies - she gets booked early so good to plan ahead :-)

Fiona Powell
Username: Fionap

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, 2 July, 2018 - 10:58 am:   

What an interesting project and a good approach, if I may say...

You can find a list of qualified UKCC coaches on the British Carriagedriving website and a list of British Driving Society coaches and instructors on their website.

What I suggest is phoning around, relating your aims and facts about the ponies (a good size for driving - mine are 13hh!), and going to have lessons with someone you like the sound of to get the hang of it.

You might consider phoning the secretary of your local driving club - find the list on the BC site, and/or call the local indoor driving event organiser (purely because he/she knows local people and can recommend the most suitable for you).

p.s. The new club in Dorset - www.wessexdrivingclub.co.uk/contact/ - has an outdoor event on 12 August (according to their events list on www.indoordriving.co.uk site) - why not get in touch and go along to meet people?

You will find us very friendly and helpful - I am sure there will be someone to get you going.

Do keep us updated!

Lubin Lukes
Username: Idlehooves

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2018 - 5:47 pm:   

I am hoping members here can help.

My husband and I are no longer riding. Our horses retired and sadly died of old age a few years ago and we got used to being horse free.

Then a friend of mine phoned with a take of woe about two very neglected ponies she wanted to rescue and could we keep them for a little while.

One was a foal at foot then but she is soon going to need an adult job. We are considering having carriage driving lessons ourselves and having her trained to harness. And her dam too.

We have a carriage we have been advised is not a bad size for them, but really we need to have lessons with experienced ponies first. As a rider I was of the opinion novices with novices are a poor mix and it would be no different driving ; we need to be confident and able before being able to guide our ponies who we want to have a great foundation with someone suitable to establish them.

One of the things that I am particularly concerned about is finding a good trainer. I know nobody by word if mouth. The mare suffered some pretty horrible treatment. It's very important to me anyway that my ponies weren’t treated roughly but while the filly has rather a little too much confidence and bluster the mare is as sweet as sweet can be: very loving and generous and I would want somebody mindful not to push her too far but rather encourage her sweet, kind forgiving nature. The mare obviously used to some one on her back but does not appear to have been worked in longreins. ( ex traveller pony so it was a possibility she had been driven) .

What should I be looking for? How long ahead do I need to be thinking?

Our plans are purely leisure driving. I plan to do my local chores replacing the car, and keep the girls fit, healthy and stimulated this way. Even if my husband and I were spry enough to ride them we are not light for short enough; they are a little over 13 hands maybe.

We live in SW Wiltshire and the filly is still too young but w are trying to plan ahead so that we can have things ready to get started.

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration