Rule of the Week Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » General Chat » Rule of the Week « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Snow
Username: Snowd

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, 8 August, 2017 - 11:59 am:   

Not sure the military were quite so precious about their horses, Fiona. I see a lot of drivers out there inspecting every nook and cranny to make sure that years of training are not blown on one pot-hole.

There is also the issue of studs on tarmac lanes.

Fiona Powell
Username: Fionap

Post Number: 422
Posted on Sunday, 6 August, 2017 - 9:30 am:   

Interesting points... I understood that section A was driven blind so that drivers would have to use their skill, judgement and backstepper's help with the times in order to preserve their horses' energy or push them on, as necessary, taking account of unknown terrain, hills and mud.
Our sport is derived from ridden three-day eventing which was intended to develop the skills needed by military riders and their horses, especially those which kept the horse going and capable of tackling whatever obstacles lay ahead. Although this might be an out-of-date notion, my personal view is that this remains relevant as part of the challenge.
The only exception I thought I knew is made for para-drivers and their backsteppers.
(As an aside, many of the rules are phrased so they are open to interpretation and also, it seems to me, some are chosen to be enforced and others - like definitive maps - are ignored. Because many competitors don't know the rules very well (other than those who are Followers of Patti, of course), they can easily fall foul of them, especially when they go to another club's events or move up to national level. Just my personal observations...)

"Discuss!"?

Daniel Snow

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, 4 August, 2017 - 10:53 am:   

Yes, I agree, but it is not REQUIRED by the rules - at least not by the ones I quoted. At Lowther they ask you not to walk section A. Fair enough - landowner's choice.

I can't see the point of driving section A blind for it's own sake. Just adds stress to the horse for entertainment reasons. Also, it's usually a nice walk if it's permitted.

Patti Atkinson
Username: Pattia

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, 4 August, 2017 - 9:12 am:   

Daniel. In my understanding Section A is always driven 'blind' in the UK. (FEI Rules are different).
Many years ago (about 29 I think) I remember going on a course drive on Section A at the National Championships.
It didnt help as I still let my driver miss a flag - my second effort at back-stepping!

Daniel Snow

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, 4 August, 2017 - 1:24 am:   

"3. Inspection of the Course by Athletes

3.1 At least 42 hours before the first athlete is due to start the marathon, Section B must be open for inspection by the athletes, except under exceptional circumstances with the agreement of the Technical Delegate.

3.2 The technical delegate may impose certain restrictions on the means of access to certain parts of the course."

My take on this is that closing section A for inspection is something organisers do to respect the wishes of the estate owners. It follows that organisers must inform you if section A is not to be walked.

However, several people have told me (wrongly?) at events that competitors caught on section A "will be eliminated."

Fiona Powell
Username: Fionap

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, 18 July, 2017 - 1:34 pm:   

A very useful point, Patti...
My understanding, to add a point that some people don't know, is that competitors are allowed to inspect only Section B, not the transfer or Section A.

And the maps of the course and the diagrams of the obstacles and the list of the compulsory flags and obstacles are also mandated. Very useful to have!

i

Patti Atkinson
Username: Pattia

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, 17 July, 2017 - 4:35 pm:   

Article 962, para 3.
Inspection of the [marathon] course.
"The course is closed to motor-vehicles unless otherwise notified in the event paperwork. Athletes and grooms will be allowed to inspect the course on foot or by bicycle, and organisers must provide a well marked map of the course."
This is the National Event rule which may be varied at the discretion of the organiser.
If attending a club event different rules may apply.

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration