What do people use to transport pony ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » General Chat » What do people use to transport pony and carriage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fiona Powell
Username: Fionap

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, 6 July, 2016 - 6:09 am:   

Hi, Nicola, as Caroline writes, there's lots of choice and what suits you best of course depends on your circumstances and budget and what you want to do. If you want to stay overnight as well, there's more to think about.
Like Caroline, I started with a four-pony trailer - adapted to take a pony and two-wheeler... and I hired a 4x4 to tow it...
If you go to a local BDS rally or come along to a trials event, you will see lots of combinations and different solutions, chat to people and you'll get all the information you need, I am sure.
Come to Blandings, near Newmarket, 16-17 July, if you are in the East Anglian Carriage Driving Group area, CB7 5QQ, or find an event on the British Carriagedriving events calendar.
You'll find people very friendly and helpful!

Caroline Phillips
Username: Caggie

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, 5 July, 2016 - 2:12 pm:   

it all depends what you want to do and how much you can afford to spend. Over the years I've had a full range of transport types. I started with a horse trailer and separate carriage trailer so we had to take 2 tow vehicles. Then came a carriage platform, it towed well but was heavy and you need a big 4x4, be careful of the weight especially on the tow ball. I then moved to a jumbo 4 pony trailer easy to use/load but this also needs a big 4x4. Then came a 7.5t lorry with living/side stable etc, easy to fit everything in, heavy for me to lift the ramp on my own, more expensive to keep on the road. I then downsized to a custom built 3.5t it takes my 2 ponies and my 4 wheeler, no living but I can camp. You must make sure you have weighed everything carefully, ponies, carriage, water, yourself etc, to make sure you stay within the weight limits/towing capacities.

Nicola Stuart
Username: Nicolas

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 4 July, 2016 - 6:10 pm:   

Hi, I'm just wondering what sort of vehicles people use to transport everything? I originally wanted a 3.5ton box but would I fit 2 ponies of 13h and a 4 wheel carriage in? Then if I got a trailer due to the extra weight of a carriage would I need something with a much bigger towing capacity than your average 4x4? Thank you

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration