Keeping Horses on the Box Overnight Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Horse driving trials forum » General Chat » Keeping Horses on the Box Overnight « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jane Wilson
Username: Janewil

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, 15 June, 2016 - 9:44 pm:   

As a club we allow electric fencing to try and encourage people into the sport by allowing them to come to events without the expense of and committment to portable stabling on the lorry. We've never had a problem. I myself have used electric fencing and I've never had a problem. What I do feel is inappropriate is the ruling which states an electric fencing compound must be no bigger than 10' x 10'. To my mind, this is far too small and constitutes a welfare issue and a danger. I wouldn't keep my 14.1 pony in a stable that small, let alone an electrified enclosure. Goodness knows how anything bigger manages! On top of that, over the course of a three day event (particularly in light of the current weather!) far more damage is done to the ground over such a small area than if a larger area is allowed. I know space for parking can be an issue and some people can take it to the opposite extreme when putting up their enclosure but there must surely be a compromise to be achieved somewhere.

Janet Pilling
Username: Janetp

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, 15 June, 2016 - 11:20 am:   

Electric tape never kept Gypsy in but I don't feel hurdles would be an option for bigger horses. This stuff is substantial but expensive.
http://www.farmstable.com/duracorral-turnout-pen-8-panel.html

Vicky Brennan
Username: Vicky_brennan

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, 29 May, 2016 - 9:23 pm:   

Crikey ... I was at Windsor and had no idea ... I do use electric but it is a single pen and 4 strands of tape and switched on all night so it does seem to be the answer for us ... she is also penned in the week so we are "practiced" but it has bothered me in the past that there is no enclosure at Smith's Lawn. Not everyone has a lorry that can take stabling?

Joanna Beazley Richards
Username: Jbr

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 29 May, 2016 - 4:35 pm:   

Two pairs of ponies got out of their electric fencing last weekend at Windsor Park Club event.
One pair went up the horse lines and then a bit. The other pair was gone 8 hours, and was found out on the A30.
Electric fencing is surely not the answer!

Rita Bundock
Username: Roanmare

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, 5 May, 2016 - 11:11 am:   

Question: Would you like to spend a night at a event with ponies banging about in the lorry next to you?

Quick answer: No.
Cheap Solution: It is so easy to transport some sheep gates, (metal ones around 22 each, 6ft long, connect together and fixed/tied to side of trailer/lorry) and a 3m gazebo. Gates can be tied on outside of trailer/lorry for travelling. I used this method for many years and never once had any trouble and many peaceful night sleep at events.

Really it is down to the event and the event Risk Assessment and how considerate you are to your fellow competitors.

Frances Collings
Username: Victory

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, 3 May, 2016 - 9:28 pm:   

Trevor Kimber used to keep his pair of ponies on the trailer which was turned into 2 lovely stables and I really fail to see why it is a problem. I realise it is no acceptable these days.

Louise McCutcheon
Username: Louisemcc

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 1:33 pm:   

We used to stable two horses on the lorry. Partitions moved/removed to make two 8'x11' stables. We had a rear tail lift and side ramp, so air and view for both stables. Never had any problems. It was much drier and easier to set up than stabling trailer (no slipping mats, no worries about roof blowing away, no escapers). Horses were very settled. Also easy at the end of the event, when packing up. We didn't sleep on the lorry (towed a caravan) as the horses rumbling about wasn't great for quality of sleep. Only changed our set up when changed to two carriages (couldn't fit it all in!).
Would definitely consider again. Never came across any objections from event organisers, although I see it has been outlawed by the FEI. Can't really understand why.

Rita Bundock
Username: Roanmare

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 11:34 am:   

It is against H&S/risk assessment rules at most events/venues to keep horse/pony in their transport (lorry/trailer) overnight. Far safer to have electric fenced gazebo attached to lorry/trailer side and the horse can see what is going on.

Amanda Axe
Username: Amanda_a

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 - 8:46 pm:   

Does anyone keep their horses on the box overnight at competitions. We have previously used an electric fence to keep our pony in. I wondered if people do keep their equines on the box overnight, if so do you move the partitions to allow the horse to move around?
Amanda

Add Your Message Here
Welcome to hdt forum. Not registered yet? To register to post, please click here. If you've forgotten your details, please click here to reset, or email mikew@hdtforum.co.uk if stuck.

Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. While you're waiting for a username or if you're really only visiting, you can post For Sale/Wanted or Announcements only by entering username New password Pony. Please include your real name in the message.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration